The Open Technology Fund seeks a motivated and agile Comptroller with a passion for, and understanding of, OTF’s mission.
Location: Washington, DC (required)
Status: Exempt, Full time
Salary/Contract: $110,000 - $125,000 commensurate with experience
The Open Technology Fund (OTF) is a U.S. Government-funded non-profit that works to advance Internet freedom globally by supporting the research, development, implementation, and sustainability of Internet freedom technologies.
OTF seeks a motivated and agile Comptroller with a passion for, and understanding of, OTF’s mission. The ideal candidate has experience effectively and efficiently directing the financial and budgetary actions of non-profit organizations, works collaboratively with programmatic team members, and is at ease when providing strategic financial input to Senior OTF Team members and Board members.
The Comptroller will serve as an internal advisor to the CEO and Board on all financial matters and will proactively identify and communicate risks and challenges as well as ensure that OTF meets all critical regulatory and legal compliance benchmarks with regard to audits, tax filings, grant reporting, contract administration, and other monthly and annual reporting requirements. The Comptroller is conversant with technology, and uses technology to optimize all reporting and analytical functions. In addition, the Comptroller will perform accounting functions as necessary and coordinate with other senior OTF staff and vendors to administer employee benefits, payroll, etc.
Promotion to the role of Chief Financial Officer is available for the right candidate.
The Comptroller will:
- Handle day-to-day operational management and strategic oversight of OTF’s finance matters, including budget, accounting, and finance functions consistent with OTF’s mission.
- Coordinate and oversee all audit activities.
- Ensure compliance with all government funding procurement policies and procedures, and reporting requirements.
- Oversee and develop OTF’s finance policies and procedures and proactively coordinate with other OTF team members to ensure proper implementation and execution throughout the organization.
- Proactively advise the Senior OTF Team on issues of finance, budget, financial policies, tax, audit, and benefits, including emerging regulations, industry developments, and external marketplace dynamics relevant to supporting OTF’s mission-based operations.
- Take initiative to improve OTF’s ability to fulfill its mission by identifying tools and approaches to responsibly and ethically streamline OTF’s financial compliance and reporting procedures.
- Perform accounting functions as necessary.
- Oversee vendors/contractors for accounting and benefits administration functions, where applicable.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Alignment to the Mission and Culture of OTF
- Commitment to OTF’s mission and core values of equity, fairness and diversity.
- Comfortable working with and supporting a small, nimble team to efficiently and effectively achieve impact.
- Passion for social change with knowledge of philanthropy, and interest in the field of human rights and Internet freedom, including nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurship, racial and gender equity, civic engagement, etc.
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and/or a sense of humor.
- Action-orientated and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and as part of a diverse team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance or relevant field is required
- Master’s Degree or CPA designation is an advantage
Experience, related skills and knowledge
- 6+ years of work experience directly related to non-profit financial management or a combination of training, education and experience equivalent to 6+ years of direct experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- In-depth knowledge of US government grant accounting and Uniform Guidance rules and relevant policies, procedures, internal controls, and auditing requirements.
- Ability to proactively identify and address challenges, provide insight and strategic advice on the fly, and work independently while being a collaborative and engaged team member.
- Experience working among, and providing leadership, to a diverse team in a non-profit or government environment.
- Hands-on, creative, responsive and experience with independent auditing and GAAP accounting.
- Ability to take a mission-driven approach, while maintaining integrity and meeting legal standards.
- Strong communication skills and a positive resilient attitude.
Salary $110,000 to $125,000 annually commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time position for employment. OTF seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and excellent employer-paid benefits.
Washington, DC, USA (required), with flexibility for remote work on occasion.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Only applications submitted through [email protected] will be considered. If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email [email protected] Because we receive a large number of applications per job posting, inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Diverse teams are strong teams. OTF includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds. We encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we will not offer visa sponsorship for this position.
Open Technology Fund is a non-profit corporation that currently operates as a program of Radio Free Asia (RFA) a 501(c)(3). RFA is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.