The Open Technology Fund is seeking a thoughtful, curious, engaged and self-motivated Program Manager to help shape and drive the Fund’s efforts to advance Internet freedom globally.
Deadline to apply: 23 June 2021
The Open Technology Fund works to advance Internet freedom in repressive environments by supporting the research, development, implementation, and maintenance of technologies that provide secure and uncensored access to the Internet to counter attempts by authoritarian governments to restrict freedom online. OTF provides direct funding and support services to individuals and organizations around the world to address threats to Internet freedom, journalism, and human rights with technology-backed solutions.
OTF is a private, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization funded by the U.S. Agency for Global Media.
OTF is a place for people who are mission-driven. We thrive when different perspectives and diverse experiences come together behind a shared commitment to a free and open internet for all. As in all of our positions, we encourage applications from anyone who wants to make this vision a reality - regardless of whether you meet every single qualification listed below.
The Open Technology Fund is seeking a thoughtful, curious, engaged and self-motivated Program Manager to help shape and drive the Fund’s efforts to advance Internet freedom. The Program Manager must have proven experience and knowledge of the global Internet freedom ecosystem. The Program Manager’s central work is to utilize their expertise to develop and implement funding strategies to support OTF’s work, inform OTF’s funding decisions, and manage a portfolio of supported projects.
The position requires a passion for working with diverse global communities who are addressing Internet freedom, journalism, and human rights challenges with technology-backed solutions. The Program Manager will work to support a robust field of individuals and organizations protecting the free flow of information, free speech, free expression, a free press, and other human rights in repressive societies around the globe.
The Program Manager reports directly to OTF’s Vice President.
- Support OTF’s application review and funding process by reviewing applications, participating in regular OTF application review calls, and conducting application due diligence.
- Lead application review rounds, including delegating and facilitating coordination among team members to ensure the successful completion of all tasks necessary to reach a final determination for all applications.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to develop, define, and implement improved review workflows.
- Independently manage, monitor and coordinate a portfolio of OTF supported projects, internal initiatives, and fund or fellowship programs.
- Support and work with new projects to issue contracts, ensure adequate onboarding, refine goals and activities as needed, amend budgets and contracts as needed, perform end-of-project tasks, and respond to any questions.
- Conduct and oversee project assessments and compliance by undertaking periodic progress reviews, reviewing and approving payment requests against progress reports, and ensuring adherence to contract terms.
- Archive and communicate the details of a project portfolio through written materials such as project status reports, presentations, and agendas for clear understanding and facilitation by OTF team and the public.
- Actively shape the planning, development, and implementation of OTF’s internal efforts, proposing new funding mechanisms or initiatives as needed.
- Work collaboratively with team members to improve project management workflows and monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Promote engagement between supported projects and our engaged communities to review opportunities, challenges and advances and encourage collaboration, learning, exchange and strategic partnerships.
Community Interaction, Discovery, and Growth
- Represent OTF at events and meetings relevant to OTF’s mission.
- Follow key developments and debates related to Internet freedom; identify new opportunities and challenges; keep abreast of the academic and popular literature relevant to OTF’s mission; and, share key findings and lessons among colleagues and the field.
- Lead and/or assist in the planning and implementation of OTF sponsored events.
- Identify and promote opportunities for team members and projects to be involved in the larger community.
- Identify and recruit potential Internet freedom projects that should apply to OTF.
- Continually learn new skills and share knowledge to help improve team practices.
- There will be many opportunities to travel and some may be required.
The Program Manager is expected to fulfill other duties as discussed and assigned by OTF leadership.
Alignment to the Mission and Culture of OTF
- Commitment to OTF’s mission and core values of equity, fairness and diversity.
- Passion for social change with knowledge of philanthropy, and interest in the field of human rights and Internet freedom, including nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurship, racial and gender equity, civic engagement, etc.
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and/or a sense of humor.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues.
- Action-orientated and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and as part of a diverse team.
- A level of education that when combined with your professional experience will adequately demonstrate your capability to contribute meaningfully to OTF. Candidates who have relevant academic degrees or certifications are encouraged to apply, but this is a plus - not a requirement.
Experience, related skills and knowledge
We do NOT expect applicants to have all the experience, skills, and knowledge described below. This section contains an illustrative list of the kinds of experience that we will be looking at when evaluating applications.
- Experience conducting or supporting the research, development, and/or implementation of Internet freedom technologies, including circumvention and security technologies.
- Strong technical understanding of the digital threats faced by journalists and human rights defenders, and the digital security tools and tactics that can be used to address those threats.
- Ability to explain complex technical subjects clearly and respectfully to audiences of specialists in non-technical fields.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects effectively and adjust to changing priorities.
- A high level of self-motivation with a passion for continuous learning.
- Strong critical thinking, analytical skills and creativity in approaching challenges and finding solutions.
- A drive for quality and excellence in your work.
- Detail-oriented and organized, experience with project management.
- Exceptional professionalism, follow-through and people skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others in multicultural teams, across organizational boundaries and multiple time zones, and with team members at all levels. Language skills and field experience are a plus.
- Confidence and enthusiasm when communicating to both external partners and the internal project team in both formal and informal presentations.
- A flexible, responsive, and enthusiastic approach to work, including the humility and grace to work effectively with others in a collaborative, fast-paced team, a “can do” attitude.
$68,000 - $113,000 USD commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time position for employment. OTF seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and excellent employer-paid benefits.
Flexible. Employment may be contingent upon an individual's ability to secure appropriate work Visas, as necessary, or on OTF’s ability to establish an employer presence in the relevant jurisdiction, as required.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line "Program Manager Non-U.S."
Only applications submitted through [email protected] will be considered. If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email [email protected] Because we receive a large number of applications per job posting, inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Diverse teams are strong teams. OTF includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds. We encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
OTF is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and do not discriminate in our hiring practices.
OTF may use this posting to fill more than one position.